A quote from the American Medical Association states that “It has been verified through scientific exploration that more than 80 percent of all diseases are due to stress and strain that originate in the mind and reflect on the body.”
We can’t say it better. Every day we experience more and more emotional chemical, and physical stress than any of our ancestors did. However, if you are aware of what your stressors are, you can easily manage them and lessen their effects.
One of these ways is going for a nice massage in a professional studio like Vital Stream.
Stress and its Effects
Stress is a very natural response to stressors or stimuli that disturbs our mental and physical equilibrium or the fight or flight response we all have.
Even though we should be thankful for this response, especially back in the days, when matters were of life and death, nowadays it’s an issue.
The body usually responds to stress by increasing the pulse, blood pressure, and breathing, suppressing the immune system, and the digestive system, worsening sleep, and tensioning muscles. Cortisol (stress hormone) levels are also getting high.
There are many health issues associated with stress such as depression, anxiety, migraines, muscle tension, arthritis, diabetes, hypertension, gastrointestinal issues, and more.
And stress hits the elderly the hardest. This is why massage therapy is needed.
The Benefits of Massages for Seniors
Therapeutic massage therapy is excellent for decreasing stress in the elderly body and lessening its negative effect.
Massages also reduce pain and muscle tension which when it comes to the elderly is a much-needed bonus.
They also increase the blood flow to the limps while supporting the immune system and giving you time to unwind.
For the elderly, especially after a stroke recovery or improvement of balance, the benefits are truly boundless.
More benefits of massages for older people are:
- Increasing the blood flow to the limbs since with age, blood circulation goes off balance and needs stimulation.
- Improving gait and balance since falling over is one of the main reasons most elderly are afraid, especially if living alone. The increased blood flow to the limbs improves proprioception and the sense of position.
- Softening of the tissues and muscle since with age, they become tighter and harder. Massage therapy increases the blood flow to those areas and reduces muscle tension.
- Stimulating and nervous system and easing stroke recovery are one of the biggest benefits of massages. Especially when it comes to stroke recovery, massages are great for stimulating paralyzed areas.
- Increasing flexibility and relieving arthritic pain are other great benefits since the increased blood flow to affected areas and joints is proven to relieve pain.
- Improving the immune system, sleep, and giving the feeling of comfort is the last of the long list of benefits. Massages release lots of toxins and boost immune support. Thanks to their relaxing effects, massages improve sleep and make a senior individual feel comfortable and good.
About Vital Stream
The Vital Stream massage therapy center is located in the Hague, behind Scheveningen Beach.
The massage center was founded by Rositsa Ivanova, a licensed physiotherapist with over 20 years of experience. Her goal is to prove high-quality therapy in a tailored way within a cozy atmosphere.
The center is nicely furnished and within each massage room, there is an air purifier for bonus comfort.
There are many massages from which you can pick and they can overcome any physical or mental stress you have in your life.
Vital Stream offers consultations based on your current health and it’s the perfect place to indulge in a little “me-time”.